|“||I met Barnette and Giuseppe this evening. I saw the skepticism in their eyes when I showed them the compass.||”|
— An extract from one of Gilbert's journals.
Barnette Lockwood was a character who appeared in the thirteenth episode of the first season in The Vampire Diaries. He was a relative of Benjamin, Lady Nancy-Marie Lockwood, and George Lockwood. Barnette was a carrier of the werewolf gene. He lived in Mystic Falls during or shortly after its founding, as did Benjamin, and was apparently an important member of the Founder's Council.
It was he and Giuseppe Salvatore to whom Johnathan Gilbert first showed the vampire compass. Barnette asked if it was magical, which Johnathan denied, before stating that he would believe it only after he saw it working himself. He later played an active role in the rounding up of the vampires in 1864.
Barnette was a member of the Founder's Council back in the 1860s. He and Giuseppe Salvatore were the first people Johnathan Gilbert showed the vampire compass to and had asked if it was magical. Johnathan stated that he would believe it only after he saw it work himself. He and many of the other residents of Mystic Falls were a part of rounding up the vampires in 1864.
Barnette had brown-grayish hair with brown eyes. He appears to be in his mid 40s-early 50s.
- Children of the Damned (Flashback)
- Barnette comes from an Old English origin, and the meaning is "a place cleared by burning". It is also a variation of Barnett and can be a surname.
- Lockwood is of English origin and means "enclosure forest".
- Barnette was portrayed by Ric Reitz in the Season One episode Children of the Damned.
- However, Reitz was mistakenly credited as Benjamin Lockwood.
- His relationship with Benjamin, George and the rest of the family has never been explained; he was also absent from the Stefan's Diaries series.
- With The Other Side's collapse, Barnette either found peace or went to Hell.