This character was a member of the Bennett Family.
Early LifeBorn during the Middle Ages of Europe, Ayana became a dear friend and mentor of another witch named Esther. After the untimely death of Esther and Mikael's first newborn child, Ayana informed the couple about a mystical land where the inhabitants experienced good health, speed and strength.
After the brutal death of Esther's youngest son, Henrik, both Esther and Mikael begged Ayana to transform them into what are now known as vampires. Ayana claimed that the spirits forbid her to do so, and Esther was forced to use the amulet that Ayana had given to her to create the vampires herself.
After the ferocious murder of Esther, Ayana preserved Esther's body with a spell so that she could one day return and destroy her family.
Powers and Abilities
- Channeling: The act of channeling or drawing other forms of energy and power by focusing on celestial events.
- Conjuration: The act of calling, commanding, or summoning an element, object, person, or spirit already in existence.
- Elemental Control: The act of controlling and manipulating the elements of air, earth, fire, water, and weather.
- Mind Control: The act of controlling and manipulating the minds of humans. (Similar to Compulsion)
- Mind Stunning: The act of bemusing and rendering someone unconscious.
- Pain Infliction: The act of creating and inflicting excruciating pain upon another person, especially vampires.
- Precognition: The act of foreseeing future events and happenings.
- Spell Casting: The act of changing and controlling events by magical influence.
- Telekinesis: The act of controlling and manipulating the movements of objects and persons.
- Witches Brew: The act of brewing and concocting supernatural elixirs and potions that contain mystical properties.
Weaknesses and Vulnerabilities
- Fear: A distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the condition or feeling of being afraid could cause a witch to temporarily lose their powers.
- Overuse Of Magic: The excessive use of magic could lead a witch to death from over-exertion.
- Candles: Witches use candles to draw energy from the flames and also enhance their spells.
- Grimoires: Witches document their spells, rituals and recipes in books called Grimoires.
- Stones & Herbs: Witches use stones and herbs to aid them as they have a magical entity.
- Talismans: Witches use material items that can act as a talisman. It is said to be one of the most powerful tools used by a witch.
Ayana means "blessed" in Native American (specifically Cherokee, according to one source), which would both be appropriate. Whether that was intentional by the show's producers, or entirely coincidental, hasn't been explained yet.
- Ordinary People (flashback)
- Ayana is played by the same actress who played Mrs. Halpern, a trigonometry teacher from Season One.
- Ayana was Esther's mentor and she is one of the most powerful witches in the series.
- One possible explanation is that Ayana did not mention to her descendants about her origin.
- Ayana already knew about the spell of vampirism, because she warns Esther about the consequences for her family and the entire planet (plague).