|“||This magic you speak of breeds consequence, this is the making of a plague Esther. The spirits will turn on you.||”|
— Ayana to Esther
Ayana was a member of the Bennett Family.
Born during the Middle Ages of Europe, Ayana became a dear friend and mentor of another witch named Esther. After the untimely death of her firstborn child, Esther and her husband, Mikael, traveled to America where Ayana informed the couple of a mystical land, where the inhabitants experienced good health, speed and strength.
After their arrival in the New World, Ayana became known as the village prophet because of her communion with the Spirits, and for her insight on the metaphysical and spiritual realms. At some point in time, Ayana created a talisman for Esther as a means to help her channel and direct her power more efficiently. One night, shortly after the brutal death of the youngest Mikaelson child, Henrik, both Esther and Mikael begged Ayana to transform their family into a superior species. However, as a devout believer and follower of the Spirits, Ayana refused to help Esther as it violated the fundamental laws of nature. Therefore, with the support of her husband, Esther proceeded to perform the spell herself. Disregarding the warnings of her mentor, Esther tapped into dark forces and succeeded in creating the very first vampires.
- Ordinary People (flashback)
- As a descendent of Qetsiyah (the creator of the first immortality spell), it is very possible that Ayana already knew of the dangers that came with eternal life.
- Ayana is played by the same actress who played Mrs. Halpern, a trigonometry teacher from Season One.
- It is assumed Esther learned most of her spells from Ayana, meaning Ayana was very powerful.
- Since the collapse of The Other Side, she most likely found peace or was sucked into oblivion.