|“||Each weapon we make is more disturbing than the last. We have enough, it's time to make our move.||”|
Astrid Malchance was a character who first appeared in the second part of the The Originals: The Awakening, and the ninth episode of the second season in The Originals. She was the tritagonist of The Originals: The Awakening. She was also a witch of the French Quarter and was a member of the French Quarter Coven.
Astrid was an ancestral witch who lived in New Orleans during the early 20th century. She was one of the witches who aligned themselves with Kol Mikaelson in order to defeat his brother Klaus. Together with her friend Mary-Alice Claire, the two of them worked closely with the Original vampire Kol who sought their help in order to defeat his brother. In order to do so, Kol taught Astrid and Mary-Alice a different kind of magic called Kemiya, which allowed them to imbue different objects with dark magic and change their elemental compositions. He later revealed that the creation of dark objects was merely for the women to practice Kemiya in order to hone their skills so that one day, they could enchant one of the silver daggers so that it would work on Klaus. Unlike her friend Mary-Alice, Astrid was more skeptical of Kol's plans and believed that each of the dark objects they created was worse than the next. She and Mary-Alice were trapped and imprisoned in the Dowager Fauline's mansion in December 1914 by one of Klaus' witches in punishment for conspiring with Kol.
Unlike Mary-Alice, she was a skeptic when it came to Kol's plan, but she still went along with it in order to support their cause. However, she was horrified by the dark objects that she created with Mary-Alice at Kol's request.
She was an attractive woman, wearing early 20th century clothing, with dark brown hair in an updo and brown eyes.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Astrid possessed all the standard powers and abilities of a witch.
Astrid had the typical weaknesses of a human/witch.
- The meaning of the name Astrid is rooted in Old Norse meaning "divine strength".
- Her last name Malchance is french for "bad luck", which suites her life as she chose Kol as an ally, which led to her unlucky end.
- Astrid, along with Mary-Alice, was one of the first witches of New Orleans to practice the Arabian branch of magic known as Kemiya.
- Astrid and Mary-Alice, under the guidance of Kol Mikaelson, created various dark objects in the early 1910s that were later used throughout the modern day in The Originals series, including: a bracelet that could be used by the wearer to force obedience (used by Davina to control Mikael), a rosary that could be used to induce madness in others (used by Agnes and Bastianna to curse Sean and Kieran, respectively), shackles that, when used to bind a witch's wrists, could prevent them from using magic (used on Finn and Kol by Hayley and Marcel, respectively) and the Devil's Star (used on Monique by Marcel).
- She and Mary-Alice were the first prisoners in Dowager Fauline Cottage.