|“||It's time this entire town started telling the truth.||”|
— April in After School Special
April Young is the daughter of Pastor Young. She spends her childhood in Mystic Falls. After her mother's death, her father sends her to boarding school. Following her father's death, April returns to Mystic Falls where she learns about the existence of vampires.
April is a member of the Young Family.
Elena begins babysitting April and she often reads her own short stories to April. April loves writing because of this. April's friends with Elena's brother, Jeremy, and also meets her boyfriend, Matt. Her mother dies of cancer and soon afterwards her father sends her to boarding school. Some years later, he dies due to a gas leak and April returns to Mystic Falls.
At first, April appears sweet, quirky and likeable. In later episodes after she discovers the supernatural world, she realizes she had been compelled and lied to and feels personally invaded. This sparks some attitude on her part towards her peers, with the exception of Rebekah, who offers her the truth. Despite the horrifying circumstances surrounding her, April keeps a brave face.
April is described as being beautiful with long, dark, wavy brown hair and blue eyes. She has very high cheek bones and a fair complexion. She also has a very petite and curvy figure. When she was younger, she had an "emo pixie cut" hairdo and braces.
- April and Rebekah (Best Friends)
- April and Matt (Friends)
- Elena and April (Ex-Friends/Enemies)
- Jeremy and April (Friends)
- From the Latin "April" which means to open. It's a reference to "spring", so this character brings some freshness to the show.
- Often used to symbolize spring, the time when buds open and flowers appear.
- Elena used to babysit her and is April's inspiration to become a writer.
- Like Elena, Jeremy and Tyler, April's an orphan.
- The only difference: April's a recurring character, while Elena, Jeremy and Tyler are main characters.
- In her youth, she had a "emo pixie haircut" and braces.
- She is Caroline's successor as Miss Mystic Falls.
- Her personality is the opposite of her father's.
- April has met Tyler, but it was off-screen. (The Killer)
- April has never met Rebekah's brothers, Kol, Niklaus and Elijah during her time in Season Four.
- Klaus does know who April is, but the two have never shared a scene together.
- When Jeremy didn't show up for the Miss Mystic Falls pageant, Matt took his place as April's date.
- It is unknown of where April is as she has not been seen since Season Four.
- Like her father Pastor Young, April is introduced very much like "remember this new girl we never met but that was so very important to our main characters".
- She also suffers from parental abandonment and was shipped off to boarding school at an early age. This is why she doesn't know her father very well.