|“||We practice ancestral magic. This cemetery is filled with the remains of our witch ancestors. Without access to them, we're powerless. If we run, we're leaving our legacy behind – our home, our family.||”|
Ancestral Magic  is a powerful form of Witchcraft that is commonly used amongst the witches of New Orleans. Ancestral Magic draws power from the spirits of a witch's deceased ancestors. Ancestral Magic however, is limited to the area where the witch's ancestors are buried. Without access of the remains, witches who practice Ancestral Magic are powerless.
The origin of Ancestral Magic is unknown but it appears to remain a traditional source of magic for the coven of witches that reside in New Orleans. Ancestral Magic works by connecting with the magic of the witches dead ancestors and allowing it to flow through them. To keep their magic flowing any witch who practices Ancestral Magic must perform a ritual every 300 years or so that is known as the Harvest that sacrifices the lives of four of the covens own witches that will release all of the four witches energy back into the earth to appease their ancestors and make the connection between the witches and their ancestors stronger to give the witches even more power. And once at the reaping which occurs about a year after the Harvest, the four witches that died will be ressurected and more powerful than before. If the Harvest is not performed, the witches magic will slowly fade until the witches cease being witches at all. In order for the witches of The French Quarter to keep the connection to the magic of any witch in their coven that dies, the witches must concecrate the body and perform a ritual to ensure that the magic of that specific bloodline of witches continues flowing and they don't lose the connection to that certain witches magic.
The French Quarter Coven recently sacrificed the lives of three witches that were chosen to die, however the Harvest was interrupetd by Marcel and his army and the fourth witch, Davina never died and all three of the witches magic flowed into her and she became extremely powerful. It is speculated that Ancestral Magic can only be practiced within the boundries of where the ancestors of the witches are buried however as that has never actually been proven it is possible that it can be practiced outside of those boundaries and it was only a negative side effect of not completing the harvest. And since then, it became Sophie's plan to find Davina and kill her so the Harvest would be completed and her niece, Monique will be resurrected and the death of her sister, Jane-Anne wouldn't be in vain.
- Paternity Spell - (Used by Jane-Anne Deveraux) to confirm whether Klaus was the father of Hayley's Unborn Child. The spell does not require an incantation. (Requirements: Goblet, Candles, Salt, Wooden surface.)
- Ancestral Magic Locator Spell - (Used by Sophie Deveraux) used to find Elijah and Davina (Requirement: Incantation unknown, map, ashes, pocket watch)
- Ancestral Magic Charge Spell - (Used by Katie and Sophie) used to help Katie save Thierry by taking the power of the ancestral dead into herself so she would have enough power to save Thierry (Requirement; salt, candle)
- Mass Pain Infliction Spell - (Used by Katie) to save Theirry it is similar to the pain infliction power but on a much larger scale that it caused the lights to explode and bring the vampires down (Dumois se la vroh kondu feh ailarra dontumuo... Dumois! Salacku tusdeh do...Vala!)
- Harvest Ritual - (Used by New Orleans Coven Elders) A powerful ritual and spell used to reconnect the witches of New Orleans with their ancestors spirit and magic.
- Werewolf Moon Curse- (Used by a member of the Deveraux witch line) A powerful spell that could force werewolves to stay in their wolf form except on full moons. Marcel forced a witch to cast this spell on the New Orleans werewolves.
- Protection Spell- (Used by Celeste DuBois) A spell that will enable the individual(s) whom which the spell is cast on to come back to ife if they die.
- Insanity Hex- (Used by Agnes and Bastina) A Spell invoked by tracing a symbol on the victim's hand. The spell will drive the victim insane to a point where they become violent and kill. (Incantation: Toursion fou mort de i'espirit.)
- Inferno Spell- (Used by Bastiana, Genevieve, and Celeste DuBois) A spell that invokes violent flames over a mansion. The witches light candles and chant over them until torches ignite and the flames are replicated over a home.
- Poison Kiss- (Used by Celeste DuBois) A simple enchantment enacted by a kiss. It was capable of temporarily incapacitating an Original Vampire.
- Message Spell- (Used by Genevieve) A spell that causes a message to catch on fire and then be transported to the intended recipient. This is very similar to a spell cast by Bonnie in TVD season 2 (Incantation: Pran sa messaj sa eales santro selevon.)
- Pain Infliction Spell- (Used by Genevieve & Bastiana) A spell similar to the power of Pain Infliction.
- Devinette- (Used by Monique Devereaux) A mystical riddle that Witches use to teach their children, it manifests as tattoo-like writing on the subject's skin. Once the subject solves the riddle the writing disappears. Monique cast this spell on Celeste's request on Elijah to lead him to where she was holding Klaus and Rebekah.
- Mind Linking Spell- (Used by Genevieve) A potion Genevieve concocted using herbs, her blood and Rebekah's blood, which she then gave to Klaus to drink. The spell linked together the minds of the drinkers so that Klaus could see the memories Rebekah was reliving.
- Possession Spell- (Used by Celeste DuBois) A spell that allowed the spirit of a deceased witch to jump from body to body.
- Boundary Spell- (Used by Celeste DuBois) to trap the Originals in the Lafayette Cemetery. It was a lunar spell that would last until the next moonrise.
- Ancestral Magic is first mentioned by Elijah Mikaelson in The Originals.
- Davina is able to detect when witches use Ancestral Magic in the French Quarter.