Town In Pennsylvania
[Elena speeds into a street parking space with Rebekah in the passenger seat. They get out of the car.]
- Rebekah: [indignantly] Why are we stopping?
- Elena: We've searched three cities in the last 24 hours, I'm sick of Top 40 radio, and I smell like leather.
- Rebekah: And that's my fault? You are the one who stole the list of Katherine's possible whereabouts, did you ever think that Damon had bad information?
- Elena: [looking around] Have I mentioned I can't stand the sound of your voice?
- Rebekah: Too bad. We're not done. Get in, next town.
[Elena has spotted a girl walking to her car.]
- Elena: In a minute. I'm hungry.
- Rebekah: We're not here for a pub crawl, Elena! I want the cure, Katherine has it. We don't stop until we find her.
- Elena: [turning back to face Rebekah] I said in a minute.
[The girl is putting stuff into the passenger seat of her car. Elena makes her jump by appearing next to her suddenly.]
- Girl: Oh, my god, you startled me.
- Elena: Did I?
[Elena vamps out and starts to go for the girl's neck.]
- Girl: Katherine, what are you doing?
[Rebekah raises her eyebrows; Elena stops and pulls back.]
- Elena: You know me?
- Girl: Of course. And I know most people around here prefer you to feed from the neck, but I asked you to drink from my wrist, remember?
[The girl pulls back her sleeve and reveals two puncture marks.]
- Rebekah: [laughing] The conniving little bitch compelled the whole town.
- Elena: [smiling] I think we just found Katherine. What's my full name?
- Girl: Katherine Pierce. I love the new 'do, by the way.
- Rebekah: So how do you know Katherine?
- Girl: [looking at Rebekah] How do I know who?
- Elena: Me. How do you know me?
- Girl: [looking at Elena] Small town, everybody knows everybody.
- Rebekah: So everyone here knows Katherine?
- Girl: [looking at Rebekah] I'm sorry, I don't know who you're talking about.
- Rebekah: [to Elena, laughing] She compelled people to forget all about her unless she's talking to them herself. Clever girl.
- Elena: [to the girl] How long have we known each other?
- Girl: It's- been a while. I can't remember.
- Elena: Where do I live? Where do I work?
- Girl: I don't know.
- Elena: Who do I spend time with? Do I have any friends?
- Girl: Well, you said we could all be friends with you, as long as we kept your secret.
- Elena: What secret?
- Girl: [confused] I-I don't know.
[Damon and Stefan have gotten out of their car and are walking towards Damon's car. Damon is carrying two large containers.]
- Damon: If they so much as even scratched the paint on my car...
- Stefan: Well, just be grateful Sheriff Forbes was able to track down the car after you let them, ah, you know, steal it from you.
- Damon: Remind me to send her some mini-muffins. Do we really need ten gallons of gas, or are you making me just lug this around as punishment?
- Stefan: Well, they ditched your car after it ran out of fuel. You gotta fill it up. Got a hundred miles before we get to Willoughby.
- Damon: Yeah, well I don't remember that name from the list of places I got from New York.
- Stefan: [amused] Oh, the list? The list they stole from right under your nose, after you let your guard down? They'll be there. Sheriff Forbes tracked down the car they stole after yours.
- Damon: [filling his tank with gasoline] Screw the muffins. I'll get her champagne-if Elena is wherever it may be.
- Stefan: [smiling] Willoughby. Creamed corn capital of Pennsylvania. They'll be there. Let's just hope we get to them before they get to the cure.
- Damon: Ooh, silver lining: if Rebekah takes the cure, then she's mortal and we can just kill her right then and there.
- Stefan: Ooh, dark cloud: Elena stays a vampire forever. Look, why don't you just table the revenge fantasies for now, and just keep your eye on the prize. Find Katherine, get the cure, get out before you get your neck snapped-again.
- Damon: Believe me, I learned my lesson. Elena without humanity is a stone-cold bitch, and I won't trust her until we get the old Elena back.
- Stefan: Look at that. We're finally on the same page about something.
- Damon: Look at that.
Klaus' Family Mansion
[Klaus is feverishly trying to get the piece of white oak stake out of his back. He is scratching his own flesh off, leaving the wound on his back a bloody mess. "Caroline" enters.]
- Caroline: Klaus, we need to talk. [Klaus is moaning in pain] What happened to you?
- Klaus: Silas. He attacked me. He stabbed me with the white oak stake. A piece of it-is still inside me.
- Caroline: Oh my god, Klaus, that could kill you.
- Klaus: [laughing humorlessly] Well, I certainly feel like I'm dying.
[Caroline reaches for Klaus' face, stroking it. When she speaks, she doesn't sound like Caroline.]
- Caroline: Hey. As much as I would love to watch you die, you still haven't found me that cure.
- Klaus: Silas!
[Klaus pushes Caroline/Silas away and falls to the floor.]
- Caroline/Silas: That's right. Last night I looked like Shane, today I look like Caroline, and tomorrow-who knows?
- Klaus: [through gritted teeth] Show me your real face.
[Silas approaches and Klaus shudders in fear.]
- Caroline/Silas: Resist me all you want, Klaus, but until you bring me the cure I will bring you nothing but misery.
[Caroline/Silas disappears and Klaus relaxes painfully.]
Willoughby Post Office
[Rebekah and Elena are walking over to a postal worker outside the post office.]
- Elena: Hey, excuse me, um...Do I have any mail today?
- Man: What happened to your hair?
- Elena: I cut it.
- Man: In the last two minutes?
- Elena: I was here two minutes ago?
- Man: Are you feeling okay, Miss Pierce?
- Elena: Yeah, I'm-- I'm fine. Um, thanks.
[The man nods and walks away.]
- Elena: [to Rebekah] She was here two minutes ago. That means that she can't be that far. Um-how about you check inside. I'll look in the parking lot.
- Rebekah: Okay.
[They leave in different directions. Elena walks over to the parking lot. She sees a girl with dark curly hair in a black car. Thinking it could be Katherine, she hides behind a van. From her hiding place she watches the girl, but the girl gets out of a car and it is not Katherine. Elena relaxes. Suddenly someone grabs Elena from behind and shoves her against the van - Katherine has Elena pinned by the neck.]
- Katherine: I'm impressed. I never thought you'd find me here. [Katherine starts choking Elena.] Oh, well. It's a beautiful place to die.
[From behind, Rebekah grabs Katherine's neck and pushes her to the ground.]
- Rebekah: I couldn't agree more. You've chosen a beautiful place to die.
[Elena smiles and Katherine is shocked.]
[Rebekah is sitting next to Katherine and Elena sits opposite Katherine inside a diner.]
- Elena: Where's the cure?
- Katherine: What? No "I'm here to avenge my annoying little brother" speech?
- Elena: People die. We move on.
[Elena drinks from a mug, expressionless. Rebekah looks at Elena, who keeps looking at Katherine.]
- Katherine: After turning off our humanity switch. So sad for the boys, though. Their special snowflake of human frailty...gone. Well, if we're gonna be a while, I'm gonna go grab some menus.
[Katherine starts to stand up but Rebekah stabs her hand with a fork, pinning it to the table. Katherine moans in pain and sits back down.]
- Rebekah: You're not going anywhere.
- Katherine: [through her teeth] I forgot how charming you were.
- Rebekah: I'm surprised you remember me at all, seeing as though you were so busy wedging yourself between my brothers.
[The waitress stops at their table.]
- Jolene: Oh, my god. What happened?
[They look up at her. No one says anything, so Elena kicks Katherine in the foot, and smiles up at the waitress.]
- Katherine: [sighing] I'm fine, Jolene. [compelling her] You didn't see anything.
[The waitress nods, smiles and leaves. Rebekah is smiling at Elena.]
- Elena: Every minute you two waste with your yapping is another minute we give Stefan and Damon to find us.
[Rebekah grabs Katherine by the chin with vampire speed.]
- Rebekah: [compelling Katherine] Where's the cure?
- Katherine: [smiles] I'm sorry, I'm on vervain.
- Rebekah: Oh, I get to torture it out of you. Fun. [She releases Katherine's chin.]
- Katherine: Why do you two want it, anyway?
- Rebekah: The question is, why do you want it? Let me guess, to kill Niklaus?
- Katherine: I've spend the last five hundred years running from your big brother. I have no intention of being within sniffing distance of him. But, since it can be used against him, I'm sure he's just itching to get his hands on it. I give him the cure, he gives me my freedom.
- Elena: [sighing loudly] Oh, you poor victim. Where's the part in your plan where you screw us over and somebody dies?
- Katherine: I have no reason to screw you over.
- Katherine: I know you don't believe me, but it is the truth. People change. I'm not the girl you think I am.
[Rebekah laughs again, Elena sighs. Rebekah aggressively searches Katherine's pockets with vampire speed.]
- Katherine: I don't have it on me.
[Rebekah throws Katherine's phone to Elena.]
- Rebekah: I didn't think you did. But I'm sure there's something in that, that can help us find it.
[Katherine looks worried as Elena searches Katherine's phone. Elena finds an appointment for 2PM that says "meet em".]
- Elena: Who's "em"?
- Katherine: [struggles to find words]...A friend.
- Elena: It says here you're meeting at two.
[Katherine sighs, looks worried.]
- Elena: I guess I'll just have to meet "em" myself.
[Elena smiles at Rebekah and she smiles back.]
Klaus' Family Mansion
- Caroline: [shouting] I got your fifty bajillion messages. This better be life and death.
- Klaus: [voiceover, gruff] Go away.
- Caroline: Klaus? Where are you?
[Caroline finds Klaus shirtless sitting on the floor, leaning on a piano seat. She enters the room.]
- Caroline: What happened to you?
- Klaus: I need more time. Stop hounding me!
- Caroline: I'm hounding you? I'm supposed to be running three different prom committees right now and you keep phone stalking me.
- Klaus: Caroline. Is it really you?
[Caroline looks surprised. Klaus struggles and pulls himself onto the piano seat and leans back against the piano.]
- Klaus: Prove it to me.
- Caroline: Okay, I don't know if this is some new way of flirting, but it sucks, and I have more important things to do.
[Caroline turns around and starts to leave.]
- Klaus: Wait, please. Silas. He stabbed me with the white oak stake. [Caroline turns around.] There's a-- a piece of it stuck inside me.
- Caroline: Why would Silas attack you?
- Klaus: Well, I was in no position to ask questions. Suffice it to say, I'm hurt. So you can understand why I called you.
- Caroline: [laughing softly] You ran Tyler out of town, you killed his mother, and you think I'm the person to call for help?
- Klaus: If I die, you, Tyler, all of your friends die with me.
[Caroline thinks for a moment and then walks closer.]
- Caroline: What do you want me to do?
- Klaus: Well, it's quite simple, really. I need you to cut the stake out of me.
[Klaus looks down at a pair of bloody pliers lying on the rug. Caroline looks down at them, perturbed.]
[Stefan and Damon are walking along the street.]
- Damon: Something's not right. Katherine Pierce does not hole up in Hickstown, P-A.
- Stefan: Well, this is definitely the car they stole. We're in the right place.
- Damon: Points to them for their choice of vehicles.
- Stefan: So let me ask you something. What happens when we find Elena? How do we get her back to Mystic Falls? I mean, she's not exactly gonna go quietly, and she has an Original vampire as her bodyguard.
- Damon: We do whatever we have to do. I don't care if we have to throw Rebekah under a school bus and wrap Elena up in a burlap sack. We do whatever we have to do.
- Stefan: I'm serious.
- Damon: I am, too. I don't care what Elena wants right now. She's this close to going off the rails for good and that ain't happening. She's a pain enough as it is.
- Stefan: So what happened to the guy who thought Elena should embrace being a vampire, let the chips fall where they may?
- Damon: That guy got his neck snapped in New York and this guy is royally pissed off.
[Damon starts walking away.]
[Elena comes out of the restroom, closing a makeup compact, and returns to the table where Katherine and Rebekah are sitting].
- Elena: [throwing her bag onto the seat and sitting] What do you think?
- Rebekah: Hmm, it's close. Not quite slutty enough. I think you need more eyeliner.
[Katherine does not look amused. Elena laughs.]
- Elena (to Katherine): I'm gonna need your clothes.
- Katherine: [sarcastically] Yeah, that's gonna happen.
- Elena: Fine. Your bracelet, watch, earrings. Hand them over.
[Elena pulls the fork out of Katherine's hand. Katherine starts taking off her jewelry and puts them on the table.]
- Elena: And your other bracelet.
- Katherine: That's my daylight bracelet. It's daytime outside. I'm gonna need it. Besides, it's not gonna work on you.
- Elena: Fine. I really am gonna need that jacket, though.
[Katherine stares at her, not moving to take off the jacket. Elena motions for Rebekah to make Katherine comply. Rebekah grabs Katherine.]
- Katherine: All right, fine. Fine, fine.
[Rebekah releases Katherine. She and Elena begin to take their jackets off at the same time.]
- Katherine: This will never work, you know. The bad haircut, the doe eyes. You'll never pass for me.
[Katherine throws her jacket to Elena.]
- Elena: [mimicking Katherine's voice] You'll never pass for me.
- Rebekah: Throatier, more mannish.
- Elena: [mimicking Katherine again, raspier] You'll never pass for me.
- Katherine: You two are pathetic.
- Elena: [mimicking Katherine] You two are pathetic.
- Rebekah: Oh, perfect. Just the right level of contempt and hidden insecurity.
- Elena: Almost there. Something's missing. [looking under the table] Your shoes. I want your shoes.
[Katherine looks at her, indignant.]
[Elena is pacing in a gazebo, checking the time and looking around.]
- Elena: Come on, Em.
[Rebekah is eating dessert and talking to Katherine.]
- Rebekah: Mm. You know, it's funny. I've always been a little envious of the legend that is Katherine Pierce. The way you could wrap men around your little finger, the way Elijah betrayed Klaus for you, the way the Salvatore brothers stumbled head over heels for you. And yet, here we are, all these years later, in a town that you've had to compel into liking you. [she laughs] I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh. It's really more sad than funny.
- Katherine: You know you can't split the cure with Elena, right?
- Rebekah: She doesn't want it.
- Katherine: Oh, no? But you do, you want to take it? Are you really that dumb or just naturally blonde?
- Rebekah: I want a normal life again.
- Katherine: You mean you want a do-over. Well, guess what. You can't have it. The cure will only take away your immortality. Everything else you hate about yourself, you'll still wake up with that in the morning. And you won't even be able to compel yourself a friend.
[Katherine reaches for something on the table but Rebekah grabs her hand and starts crushing the bones in her arm when Stefan and Damon appear.]
- Stefan: Ladies, playing nice?
[Damon sits down on the bench across from them, amused. Rebekah releases Katherine.]
- Katherine: There goes the neighborhood.
- Damon: I see you got Katherine already. [to Katherine] You're losing your touch, evil one.
[They all stare at each other.]
- Stefan: [to Rebekah] Where's Elena?
[Elena is still waiting when Elijah arrives.]
- Elijah: Katerina.
[Elena turns around and is surprised but tries to recover.]
- Elena: Elijah. You're a little late, aren't you?
- Elijah: You colored your hair. [stroking her hair] I like it.
- Elena: Thank you. It's actually gonna--
[Elijah interrupts her by kissing her. Elena is caught off guard but goes along with it. They finally part.]
- Elijah: I missed you.
- Elena: And I've missed you.
- Elijah: This is an interesting little town you've chosen to settle down in. So do you have it with you?
- Elena: Do I have what?
- Elijah: The cure.
[Elijah notices Elena's hesitance, and while she talks he sees the daylight right on her hand.]
- Elena: It's in a safe place. Why don't I go and get it and I'll bring it back?
[Elena starts to walk away but Elijah grabs her arm.]
- Elijah: Where's Katherine, Elena?
[Damon, Stefan, Rebekah and Katherine are all sitting round the table.]
- Rebekah: So let me get this straight: I tell you where Elena is, you shove the cure down her throat, and then I end up in a box, right? I don't think so.
- Damon: [to Katherine] What about you over there, smiley? Do you know where she is?
- Katherine: I can give you a hint. Start by looking at the town morgue. She's probably dead. [No one speaks, waiting for her to elaborate.] She went to meet up with a friend of mine. You may know him-an Original brother, impeccable taste.
- Rebekah: [horrified] Elijah.
- Damon: Elijah's here?
- Stefan: Well, you sort of have to question Elijah's impeccable taste if he's friends with you.
- Katherine: Oh, when I say friend, I mean friend.
[Damon and Rebekah groan in disgust.]
- Katherine: It probably took him about ten seconds to realise that she wasn't me, at which point he probably yanked her heart right out of her chest.
- Stefan: All right. Where are they? [Katherine smiles and says nothing.] Rebekah, you do realise if something should happen to Elena, you have no chance of finding the cure, right?
- Rebekah: Fine. They were supposed to meet at the gazebo by the park.
- Stefan: [getting up] I'll go talk to Elijah.
- Rebekah: You go deal with Elijah. Katherine will take us to the cure.
- Katherine: No, she won't. The cure is my one chance to win my freedom back from Klaus.
- Damon: You're gonna broker a deal with Klaus?
- Stefan: No. She's gonna get Elijah to broker the deal for her. That's why you need your little friend, isn't it? Some things never change, Katherine.
- Damon: Nope.
- Katherine: Fine. [to Rebekah] Move. You have to follow me.
Klaus' Family Mansion
[Klaus is bracing himself against the piano while Caroline uses the pair of pliers to try to dig out the white oak stake.]
- Caroline: Oh, my god. You do have a heart.
[Klaus yells in pain through gritted teeth as Caroline moves the pliers in his back.]
- Caroline: Oh, my bad. It's just a bloody rib.
- Klaus: Well I'm glad you're finding my misery so amusing.
- Caroline: Ugh, I swear there's nothing in here. And if you think I'm having fun, you're insane.
- Klaus: You killed twelve witches for your friend Bonnie. You can't even get your hands a little dirty for me? Here I thought we were becoming friends.
- Caroline: Well, you thought wrong.
[She digs a little deeper into Klaus' back. He yells in pain and starts slamming his hand on the piano top.]
- Caroline: I'm sorry! I'm sorry. I'm sorry. You know what? [She yanks the pliers out of his back and he yells in pain.] I'm not sorry. You deserve to suffer for everything that you've done. So today, we're gonna do things my way. You want my help? You let Tyler come back to town, and give me your word that you will not hurt him.
[Klaus shudders in pain but doesn't respond.]
[Stefan is ringing someone. The shots alternate between Stefan at the gazebo and Elijah in an alleyway. Elijah answers the phone.]
- Elijah: Katerina?
- Stefan: Hello, Elijah.
- Elijah: Where is Katherine?
- Stefan: Where's Elena?
- Elijah: Safe. How long she remains so depends upon you.
- Stefan: Well, I guess the same goes for Katherine.
- Elijah: Oh, Katherine can take care of herself against the two of you.
- Stefan: Oh you mean the three of us. 'Cause your little sister decided to join Team Good Guys for the time being.
[Elijah is clearly angry about this but remains calm.]
- Elijah: Put her on the phone.
- Stefan: Well, she's not here right now. I left her with Damon and Katherine.
- Elijah: Tell me where they are.
- Stefan: Relax. No one's gonna get hurt as long as Katherine hands over the cure.
- Elijah: Do you understand how much my sister despises Katherine? I assure you, Rebekah will end her the moment she ceases to be of use.
- Stefan: Well, just tell me where you are, and we can talk this through.
- Elijah: You listen to me very carefully, Stefan. If anything whatsoever happens to Katherine, I will descend upon Elena.
[He hangs up. Elena is leaning against a wall.]
- Elena: You're both idiots.
- Elijah: Excuse me?
- Elena: [sighing loudly] Ugh. What happened to you, Elijah? I mean, I thought you were supposed to be a man of honor, and yet you've been hooking up with Katherine this entire time?
- Elijah: Well, I suppose this man of honour always shared a connection with Katherine. She contacted me when she learned about the cure. We thought we could be of mutual use to one another.
- Elena: [laughing] "Of mutual use"? Please. You fell for her trap just like every other one of those idiots.
- Elijah: You underestimate me, Elena. I know who she is. I know what she's done.
- Elena: And you think she's changed? She's playing you. She lied to you, Elijah.
- Elijah: She didn't lie to me about your transformation. [They look at each other for a moment.] You're not just a vampire, though, are you? [Elena shrugs] There's something else. You...you're not yourself. You've abandoned your emotions. Why?
- Elena: My brother's dead. Your girlfriend killed him. [Elijah seems shocked] You didn't know? [scoffs] Of course you didn't.
- Elijah: She lied.
- Elena: I hate to say I told you so, but...duh!
[Damon, Rebekah and Katherine enter through the front door. Damon pushes Katherine inside.]
- Damon: No sudden moves. No tricks either. No Katherine-ing.
[Katherine walks further into the house while Damon and Rebekah look around.]
- Damon: Wow. A quilt and a fish aquarium. Who the hell are you?
- Rebekah: A very old lady with dreadful taste.
[Katherine has been removing things from a bookshelf and opens a hidden safe. She moves her hands around inside it.]
- Katherine: It's gone. The cure, it was in the safe, but it's not there.
- Damon: [imitates a buzzer] Not falling for it. Where is it, Auntie Katherine?
- Katherine: I swear it was in the safe.
- Rebekah: What, just like Elijah's really your boyfriend and this is really your life? And for all we know, this isn't even your house.
- Damon: Yeah, it doesn't look like the Katherine I know.
- Katherine: Maybe you don't know Katherine at all. Did it ever occur to you that you have no idea who I really am?
- Damon: Did it ever occur to you that you're not that deep? This whole small-town girl thing, we all know it's an act.
- Rebekah: Where is the cure?
[Katherine looks at her with a hint of a smile and Rebekah vamp-speeds at her. Damon throws his arm out to stop her.]
- Damon: Whoa, whoa. Hang on. We need her alive. The cure's not here. You check upstairs. I'll check down. I got this.
[Katherine is smiling. Rebekah walks away to go upstairs.]
- Damon: So if I was a paranoid, distrustful sociopath, where would I keep my most prized possession?
- Katherine: [chuckling] This should be fun.
- Damon: [searching the room] Because I'd want it to be close, but not on me. Accessible but not obvious. I'd want to keep it safe, but not so safe that it'd be too difficult to grab and run. [stopping in front of the fish tank] Well, that is a fancy little treasure chest-in a tank with no fish. [Katherine says nothing] I think I'm gonna have to check that out.
[Damon sticks his hand into the water but is immediately burned.]
- Damon: Aah! Gah! Vervain water. Looks like we have a winner.
[Damon picks up a large net to scoop out the chest. Before he can, Katherine vamp-speeds at him and shoves his head into the vervain water, holds him there for several seconds then throws him to the floor. Damon writhes in pain and Katherine gets the chest out. She runs to the door but Rebekah appears in front of her.]
- Rebekah: Give it to me or you're dead.
- Katherine: You're gonna kill me anyway. So what's more important to you, huh? Killing me or getting the cure?
[She holds up a small pill-shaped object and throws it into the air behind her. Rebekah runs to catch it, and Katherine dashes out the front door. Damon, his face healing, is still on the floor.]
- Damon: [raspily] Look, Rebekah...Don't even think about it.
[Rebekah gets up, still in awe that she finally has the cure. Damon's voice still sounds very raspy.]
- Damon: Let's just talk about this, like the two rational vampires that we are. Rebekah?
- Rebekah: [staring at the object in her hand] Oh, give it a rest. Me taking this cure is the best thing that'll ever happen to you.
- Damon: Don't do anything stupid.
- Rebekah: Admit it. You don't want human-Elena running back to Stefan whilst you're left out in the cold again. Go on, Damon. Tell me why you want Elena to have the cure.
[Still on the floor, Damon says nothing.]
- Rebekah: [smiling] That's what I thought.
[Rebekah pops open the pill when Stefan arrives at the open front door. She tosses it back into her mouth.]
- Stefan: No!
[Rebekah gasps for a few seconds and falls down onto the sofa. Damon rests his head on the floor.]
Klaus' Family Mansion
[Caroline is sitting on the sofa looking at her phone while Klaus, propped up on the back of another sofa, is still reaching round at the wound in his back.]
- Klaus: [moaning] I can feel the splinters moving towards my heart. Help me!
- Caroline: Your word first.
- Klaus: And what makes you think I won't simply break my word?
- Caroline: [looking up from her phone] You wanna be friends? Friendship-Stage One. Show me that I can trust you.
- Klaus: [angrily] I saved your life...twice.
- Caroline: Because you put it in danger...twice. Why can't you just do something decent for once?
- Klaus: Because Tyler Lockwood tried to kill me!
- Caroline: We've all tried to kill you. [standing] And you've tried to kill most of us. How do you think that you deserve my friendship when you've done nothing to earn it?
[Klaus stands and approaches Caroline quickly.]
- Klaus: [shouting] I will not have my hand forced by you or anyone else!
- Caroline: [raising her voice] What is wrong with you? I'm reaching out to you despite everything that you've done, and you still can't get out of your own way. God! I feel sorry for you.
[She turns away but Klaus vamp-speeds to block her way.]
- Klaus: Don't turn your back on me!
- Caroline: [shouting emotionally] I should have turned my back on you ages ago!
[They remain silent for a moment.]
- Klaus: It's gone.
- Caroline: What?
- Klaus: The pain. [He reaches round to his back.] The-the pain is gone. [realizing something] It was-it was never there. He got in my head. Silas...[gesturing at his temple]...got inside my head. [He takes Caroline's hand.] You took my mind off it. You brought me back, Caroline.
[Caroline takes her hand back gently and turns around, bringing her hands to her head and walking a few steps. She turns back to Klaus.]
- Caroline: If Silas can make you, of all people, believe that you're dying...what can he do to the rest of us?
[Rebekah is still unconscious on the sofa. Stefan is looking at the fish tank and talking to Damon, who has finally gotten up.]
- Stefan: Did you even try to stop her?
- Damon: You forgot the part where I was bobbing for boxes in vervain water.
- Stefan: All you had to do was stall her, Damon.
- Damon: Sorry. It's Rebekah. I didn't have a pony to distract her, Stefan.
- Stefan: You let her take it, didn't you? You were never on my side. Now Elena will be a vampire for the rest of her life just like you wanted.
[Rebekah gasps suddenly and wakes up.]
[Elena is sitting on the step in front of a doorway while Elijah paces slowly.]
- Elijah: I know what it feels like to lose a brother. And I'm sorry for your pain. I...I only hope that you can find your way back to yourself someday.
[Smiling ruefully, Elena stands up.]
- Elena: Just like you hope Katherine will find her way back? You still think that innocent girl you saved from Klaus ages ago is in there somewhere?
- Elijah: I'd like to think so, yes.
- Elena: She's not. She's a monster now, Elijah. The sweet peasant girl you fell in love with way back when is dead. And she's not coming back.
- Elijah: I'm not a fool, Elena. Of course this has occurred to me, but what kind of man would I be if I didn't try to find my Katerina beneath this...Katherine façade?
- Elena: You boys are all the same. Damon and Stefan still think that the girl they love is still in here somewhere, too.
- Elijah: You can't blame them for having hope, Elena. It'd be a shame if the world lost a soul as compassionate as yours.
- Elena: "Your compassion is a gift, Elena. Carry it with you always and forever." I remember reading that in a letter once.
- Elijah: Well, the writer sounds positively gifted. I'm sure he meant what he wrote.
- Elena: I'm sure he did. And it felt good to watch that letter burn, along with my old life and along with Jeremy's body.
[Suddenly someone attacks Elena from behind, snapping her neck. Elena falls to the ground and Katherine appears behind her.]
- Katherine: Sorry. I got held up.
[Rebekah has sat up on the sofa and looks refreshed, her mouth open in wonder. Damon is standing near a bookshelf and Stefan sits down on the coffee table opposite her.]
- Stefan: How do you feel?
- Rebekah: [smiling] I-- I feel good. I...I feel great. I feel alive.
- Damon: Slight problem with being alive-I can kill you know.
[Damon throws a letter opener at Rebekah and she catches it with vampire speed. She and Stefan watch as the gash on her hand heals before their eyes. Rebekah gasps in horror while Stefan sighs with relief.]
- Rebekah: I'm still a vampire. The cure didn't work.
- Stefan: It worked just like she wanted it to. The cure was a fake. It must've been a concentrated shot of vervain or something.
[Rebekah is still in shock, her mouth hanging open.]
- Damon: [with slight admiration] Katherine.
[Katherine and Elijah are talking in the alleyway.]
- Katherine: Oh, come on. She could use a nap. It must be exhausting trying to be me.
[Elijah is crouched over Elena's lifeless form.]
- Elijah: You killed Jeremy Gilbert.
- Katherine: [exhaling in resignation] Yes, Elijah, I killed Jeremy Gilbert, a bombshell I'm sure she just couldn't wait to drop on you. Ironic, since she supposedly doesn't care about anything.
- Elijah: Well, I care. [standing] Do you honestly feel nothing for this girl, a girl fated to live the same life that you've endured? And now you've just taken away the last of her family, just as yours was taken away from you.
- Katherine: [smiling defensively] Uh, why are you looking at me like I enjoyed it? [Elijah starts walking away and Katherine follows him.] Jeremy was collateral damage. I was doing what I needed to do to survive.
- Elijah: Is that what I am to you? A means of survival?
- Katherine: Don't let sweet little Elena get to you. She hates me. She wants you to turn against me and convince you that I can't be trusted.
- Elijah: I asked you a question.
- Katherine: No. Of course you're not a means of survival. You looked out for me when I had no one. You're giving me a second chance now when no one else will. I love you. [She places a hand on his cheek.] Elijah. [He pulls his face away from her hand.] You don't believe me.
- Elijah: I want to. It's my disease. I just keep wanting to believe you, but how can I when at every turn, you give me a reason to doubt you? I don't know you. [He chuckles softly.] I don't know that I ever will.
[Elijah turns and walks away. Katherine goes after him.]
- Katherine: [grabbing his arm] Wait. You gave me your word that you would talk to Klaus. I--I can't make a deal without you.
[Elijah looks at her for a moment.]
- Elijah: Good-bye, Katherine.
[Katherine watches him walk away.]
[It's night-time. Katherine approaches the front door of a house and knocks. The girl that Elena and Rebekah talked to earlier in the day opens the door.]
- Girl: Katherine, hey. What brings you by at this hour?
- Katherine: I came to retrieve my package.
- Girl: Oh, of course. Like I said, your secret would be safe here.
[The girl walks into the house and returns shortly with a small box, handing it to Katherine. Katherine opens it and looks inside; it contains a small pill-shaped object, inside of which is some reddish liquid.]
- Girl: Hey, um...all the secrecy. Can I ask, what is it?
- Katherine: It's my freedom.
[She closes the box.]
[Elijah is walking down a sidewak when Katherine approaches him. He starts to pass her.]
- Katherine: Wait.
- Elijah: [stopping] What do you want?
- Katherine: To tell you that you're right. I've spent so much time running and lying just to survive that I don't-- I'm starting to believe my own lies. I don't even remember who I was when we first met. And I want to find out.
[She reaches into her purse and pulls out the small box.]
- Elijah: You have the cure.
- Katherine: Yeah. And I can shove this down Klaus' throat and try to kill him, but even if I manage to do it...I'd lose you. And I don't want that to happen.
- Elijah: [emotional] How do I know this isn't another lie? Katherine Pierce deceiving yet another man.
[Katherine takes his hand and puts the box into it, holding hers over it.]
- Katherine: Because I meant what I said about my feelings for you. And I'd like to think that you feel something for me, too. I need you to trust me. I want you to trust me...Just like I'm trusting you. You don't owe me anything. I'm gonna let you decide where we go from here.
[Katherine passes him and walks away. Elijah opens the box, looks at the cure, then closes the box and crosses the street. On the other side, Rebekah hops down from her perch on a parked car.]
- Rebekah: You and Katherine? And I thought you were the smart brother.
- Elijah: You don't have a smart brother. It turns out I'm just as stupid as the rest of you.
- Rebekah: Why don't you just give me the cure so I can judge you silently elsewhere?
- Elijah: And what could you possibly want with the cure?
- Rebekah: I want to be human again.
- Elijah: How do you know that being human is the answer you're looking for? I mean, it's nothing but a romantic notion. The grass won't necessarily be greener, Rebekah.
- Rebekah: You're probably right. But I don't care. I want to live a simple life as a normal person. And when it ends, it ends. We've had 20 lifetimes together, Elijah. Isn't that enough?
- Elijah: I just don't understand. I mean, why must you always consider our family a burden? Always and forever. I mean, those words are as important to me today as they-as they ever were.
- Rebekah: You will always be my brother. And I will never stop loving you. But now it's time for me to live and die the way that I choose, not the way you and Nik want me to. Please. Please just give me the cure.
[Rebekah's phone starts ringing. She digs it out of her bag and answers it.]
- Rebekah: What do you want, Nik?
[The shots alternate between Rebekah and Elijah on the street and Klaus at the mansion.]
- Klaus: An update on our search for the elusive cure.
- Rebekah: Let's just say that things have gotten complicated. In fact, why don't you speak to one of those complications? Here.
[She hands the phone to Elijah and walks around to the other side of the car. She and Elijah get into the car.]
- Elijah: Complication speaking.
- Klaus: [smiling] Big brother. At last you join the fray.
- Elijah: Somebody had to take charge. And now that I have, I've got the cure and I'm bringing it back to Mystic Falls.
- Klaus: With a long list of demands, I assume.
- Elijah: Not that long.
- Klaus: Come home, brother. We'll settle this like family.
[Klaus hangs up.]
Klaus' Family Mansion
[Caroline enters the room, wiping her hands on a towel.]
- Caroline: I used all your bleach.
[She starts to walk past Klaus but he reaches out and grabs her arm. She turns to him.]
- Klaus: Hey. Thank you for helping me.
- Caroline: Yeah. [She pauses awkwardly.] Well, if you need anything else...don't call me. I have a prom to plan.
[She turns and walks away.]
- Klaus: [smiling] Friends, then?
[Caroline pauses, then turns back round.]
- Caroline: Are you gonna let Tyler come back into town?
[Klaus' face falls and he doesn't say anything. Caroline shakes her head slightly, then turns away.]
- Klaus: You might have noticed...[Caroline faces him again] I'm not exactly scouring the earth for him, am I?
[Caroline smiles, then finally leaves the room. Klaus smiles as well.]
[Damon and Stefan are walking down a sidewalk just outside the diner.]
- Damon: All right, you're right. I let Rebekah take the cure. [He stops and turns to face Stefan.] I thought for a second-I mean, literally just a second-If Rebekah takes this, then all my problems go away. And I couldn't think of one good reason to give it to Elena. And then Rebekah took it. And I realized how badly I screwed up.
- Stefan: So what's your point, Damon?
- Damon: My point is, I'm sorry, okay? I had a moment of weakness, Stefan. It's my thing. It's like you and I falling for the same girl. It's our thing.
- Stefan: Was our thing. Look, we've been making the same mistakes for 150 years. We can judge Katherine all we want, but we keep repeating our own history just like she is. Nothing ever changes. It has to stop, Damon.
- Damon: What are you talking about?
- Stefan: I'm done. I can't keep reliving my life like this. I owe Elena her shot at being normal again. Once we give her the cure, I'm getting her out of my life, and I'm getting a life of my own.
- Damon: [nodding] Okay. Okay, let's just get the cure, and then we'll talk about you riding off into the sunset all by your lonesome.
- Stefan: You still want to get the cure, even if it means you might lose her?
- Damon: It's a chance I'm willing to take, Stefan.
- Stefan: Well, I guess all we have to do is, ah, convince her.
[He walks past Damon. They enter the diner, where Elena is sitting at a table by herself. Jolene, the waitress from earlier, sees them walk in.]
- Jolene: Sit anywhere you'd like.
[Damon and Stefan slide into the booth and sit next to Elena.]
- Stefan: You all right?
[Elena looks at them but says nothing.]
- Damon: What's up with the silent treatment? You're the one that texted us and wanted to meet up.
- Elena: You know I don't want the cure. You need to know that I never will and I'm done talking about it. So...will you accept that and let me be who I am, or not?
[Damon and Stefan exchange looks.]
- Damon: Yeah...no.
- Stefan: Elena, this isn't you.
- Elena: It is now. And you two really need to accept it. Because if you don't, there will be consequences.
[Elena takes a sip from her mug and the brothers look at each other again.]
- Stefan: Listen, I was in the exact same situation that you're in right now. My emotions were off. I wasn't me. And you refused to accept that. You didn't give up on me. You didn't stop until you pulled me back.
[Elena sets down her mug. Jolene comes back.]
- Jolene: Let me just top that off for you.
- Elena: [smiling] Thanks.
[Elena vamp-speeds up and snaps Jolene's neck. Her body falls to the floor as the pitcher of coffee shatters.]
- Damon: Oh!
- Elena: Like I said, consequences. That's one body you're responsible for. If you keep trying to fix me, there'll be a second, a twentieth, and a hundredth. It's your choice.
[She walks away and leaves the diner as Damon and Stefan look at the body.]
- Damon: Still ready to ride off into the sunset?