|“||Did you honestly think I'd leave Damon in charge and never look back?||”|
Alaric J. "Ric" Saltzman was a vampire hunter and a history teacher at Mystic Falls High School. He originally came to Mystic Falls to find the vampire that killed his wife, but learned that she voluntarily became a vampire and left him. He also learned that his wife had a child when she was in her teens, a daughter named Elena Gilbert, his student. Alaric began a romantic relationship with her adoptive aunt Jenna. Ironically, he was technically Elena's step-father due to his marriage to Isobel. Following Jenna's tragic death, he seemed to step into his step-father role to Elena and a father figure to her brother, Jeremy. He was also Damon's best friend.
As a vampire hunter he designed several weapons to fight vampires which include vervain tranquilizers and arm vest stakes.
As a ghost, he watches over Damon, Jeremy, and Elena.
The Saltzmans are descendants of German immigrants who arrived in Texas in 1755. He was born and raised in Boston, Massachusetts. He mentions to Jenna Sommers that during high school, he wore eyeglasses and had a skin condition. While attending Duke University, he met and then married Isobel Flemming, a parapsychologist (it's revealed by Meredith that Isobel filed restraining order against him twice) who had an interest in vampires, a topic he would regularly tease her about.
He said that she was "Like Mulder, except hotter, and a girl." At some point, Isobel gave him a ring and told him to always wear it. One night, he returned home late to find a vampire in his bedroom drinking Isobel's blood. Her body was never found and she was assumed to be dead. Alaric took over her research and found out about Mystic Falls and the rumors about vampires being alive in the town. He went there to find out the truth and discover what had happened to his wife.
He also created a number of anti-vampire weapons, so as to protect himself and others from them.
In 500 Years of Solitude, Alaric appeared at the Boarding House where he was seen by Bonnie and Jeremy. When asked by Jeremy where he had been, Alaric said that he wouldn't leave Damon in charge without looking back to check in on everyone. After Damon raised his glass to Alaric, he smiles fondly and seems at peace as he looks at everyone he cares about.
When introduced, Alaric was a mysterious man who seemed outwardly warm and friendly both with his students and with strangers. He was quick to give Jeremy a second chance and immediately started to bond with Jenna. However, this facade showed a darker side, one tinged with guilt and grief. Namely, he carried the burden of the disappearance of his wife and a fierce dedication to discover what had happened to her. He proved to be intelligent and a talented vampire hunter shown when he killed Logan Fell. However, he was also stubborn and dedicated to finding out what happened to his wife. Namely, he ignored Stefan's warnings to stay away from Damon and attacked him which led to his first death.
His fixation on Isobel eventually came to pass when he learned of her transformation into a vampire and he managed to let her go, namely after she compelled him to do so, so that he could go along with his life. This allowed him to develop his relationship with Jenna.
Alaric started to warm up to the others and started to form of sort of partnership with Damon as they investigated what happened to Isobel and her connection to John Gilbert. This partnership eventually evolved into a particularly strong friendship, some even considering Damon Alaric's best and only friend.
However, after Jenna's death, Alaric was unhinged and started to fall into a state of depression when he was seen drinking away the pain. While he was portrayed as a moderate drinker before the incident, Jenna's death led him to develop a rather severe drinking problem with Meredith Fell calling him a borderline alcoholic. He tried to take care of Elena and Jeremy, but had difficulty living up to the task. This dark part of him was also emphasized due to the many times that he had died and came back to life. It also connected to his suppressed guilt at the way his life had taken and all the pain that had resulted from it which made him fall prey to the darkness within him and turned him into a serial killer.Enhanced Original, his darker aspect took complete control, and although now a vampire, was determined to hunt down the Original family and end the existence of vampires, showing that that was all he cared about by agreeing to be desiccated after he had finished his work. His hatred of vampires and vampire sympathizers was just as potent as it had been during his fits of insanity, outing former friends to the Town Council to be hunted down. He also considered his real personality a disgrace, who had befriended the very things that had ruined his life and also was disgusted by ever having been friends with Damon.
For unknown reasons, Alaric completely reverted to his original personality when he died. When Bonnie dropped the veil to the Other Side, Alaric retained his vampire powers as well as his personality as if his darker personality simply disappeared when he died.
These are the relationships that Alaric has had during his life as a human and a vampire. He is dead due to Rebekah driving Matt and Elena off Wickery Bridge to save her own family from immediate death, he is buried at Mystic Falls Cemetery.
- Main article: Alaric and Isobel
She returns in season two allegedly to help protect Elena from Klaus but she really was compelled by him to kidnap Alaric to use him as a host. In their final conversation she apologizes for everything she put him through and that she will always love him just before she was forced to let Maddox kidnap him for Klaus. Isobel was also responsible for breaking up Alaric and Jenna as she said to Katherine. It was she who asked John to poison their relationship about the truth surrounding her death. John, who wanted his ring back since Alaric had it, agreed to use this to blackmail Alaric out of his ring. She later commits suicide.
- Main article: Damon and Alaric
- Alaric and Jenna (Former Girlfriend; still in love with)
- Alaric and Meredith (Former Girlfriend)
- Elena and Alaric (Step-Daughter, Legal Guardian/Close Friends)
- Klaus and Alaric (Enemies)
- Alaric and Jeremy (Guardian/Father Figure/Friends)
- Elijah and Alaric (Enemies)
- Damon, Elena, and Alaric (Best Friends)
Tools and Weapons
As a proficient vampire hunter, Alaric used many weapons and tools to aid in his one man war. These weapons were kept in his apartment, car, and even at the school; always close-by and ready for use. He would often loan his vampire slaying weapons to his friends and allies when they were in need of them. As a form of protection against supernatural creatures, Isobel Flemming gift to Alaric a magic ring of resurrection.
- Stakes - Alaric would primarily use stakes in combat, taking an element of surprise approach in his battles against deadly vampires like Logan Fell and Damon Salvatore.
- Stake Launcher - Alaric used an air propelled stake launcher that he'd keep nearby at the school. When he first met Stefan, he tried to kill him with the help of this weapon.
- Arm Cuff Stake - A hidden device under his sleeve which would allow you to either draw the stake from seemingly nowhere or if you punched an opponent with enough force, launch it forward. He taught Elena how to use this weapon effectively.
- White Oak Stake - Once he had been turned into an Original vampire by Esther, who wanted him to hunt down the Originals, he used the white oak stake along with his new powers to try and make all vampires extinct.
- Vervain Darts
- Vervain Grenades
- Wolfsbane Grenades
- Gilbert Ring - Alaric always wore the Gilbert Ring that his wife Isobel had given him. It allowed him to be resurrected after being killed by a supernatural creature or by supernatural means, a very handy trinket for someone hunting vampires, though it did end up having some negative effects.
- "Alaric" Gothic name meaning "ruler of all". Was the name of the king of the Visigoths who sacked Rome in 410 and might have precipitate the fall of Rome.
- Kevin Williamson originally wanted James Van Der Beek for the role of "Alaric". The two previously worked together for the first two seasons of "Dawson's Creek". He wanted James Van Der Beek is replaced by Blue Crush star Matthew Davis for the role as Alaric.
- In the books his name was Alaric K. Saltzman. In the series "K" is not mentioned. Instead its an J as seen on his tombstone.
- In the books Alaric was much younger and was a researcher instead of a vampire hunter. He also had a relationship with Meredith Sulez and was never married or met Elena's aunt. In the series Alaric meets Meredith Fell and starts a relationship with her a while after Elena's aunt Jenna dies.
- He is the only non-Gilbert, besides Matt Donovan in season 4, shown to use the Gilbert Ring.
- He had relationships with two women (Isobel and Jenna) who were both turned into vampires and died.
- Ironically, in the series, Alaric is a vampire hunter but in the books, Meredith says she is a vampire hunter.
- Like Jeremy, he has been killed twice by Damon Salvatore.
- Alaric is the first character to use a dagger on screen.
- Logan Fell was the first vampire that Alaric killed.
- Alaric has killed the most Original Vampires (while they were linked), with the exception of Mikael and Klaus.
- He has most deaths in the series (8).
- Season 1
- Season 2
- Season 3
- Alaric has been killed by most species seen on the show.
- Alaric completed his transition through drinking the blood of a witch just like Jenna.
- Although Alaric can be considered as the main antagonist of the final 4 episodes of Season Three, it was actually The Darkness possessing him.
- He is the only Original not part of the Mikaelson Family.
- He is the first Original to be destroyed without the use of a White Oak Stake.
- Alaric becomes part of the main cast in Fool Me Once and leaves it in The Departed.
- Alaric was the third main character to die after Vicki and Jenna, but before Jeremy and Bonnie.
- He is the first male main character to die.
- He is the third main character to transition into a vampire before death, after Vicki and Jenna.
- Alaric is the first Original to become a ghost, Kol being the second.
- Excluding Henrik and his unnamed older sibling, Alaric has killed every member of the Original Family at one point except for Mikael.
- Alaric is the second strongest character shown so far in the series, with Silas being the strongest.
- Alaric made three appearances as a Ghost in Season Four. (Memorial, The Walking Dead, Graduation)
- He is the only original who's body didn't burn upon death.
- Like normal vampires who die when the source of their bloodline dies Alaric did the same when Elena died but much faster.
- Alaric was mentioned multiple times throughout Season Four.
- Alaric was the strongest Original Vampire in the series, excluding Silas who is a different kind of immortal being.