REBEKAH IS BACK WITH A VENGEANCE — Appearing unexpectedly at Mystic Falls High School, Rebekah wastes no time trying to force Stefan, Elena, and Caroline to answer her questions about the search for a cure for vampirism, leading to a bombshell piece of information from Elena. When Bonnie’s father, Rudy Hopkins, accepts the role of Interim Mayor, he makes it a priority to protect his daughter, who isn’t at all comfortable with the role he suddenly wants to play in her life. Professor Shane continues to encourage Bonnie to believe in her powers, but he soon finds himself in danger when he reveals too much to the wrong person. Later, Caroline does her best to comfort Tyler after a violent confrontation. Meanwhile, at the lake house, Damon and Matt train Jeremy, trying to raise his game as a hunter, but Klaus is impatient with their progress and intervenes to speed up the process.
|Following Carol's death, Bonnie's father steps in as the new mayor and show concern about Bonnie. Meanwhile, Rebekah and April work together to get Elena to speak to Rebekah, trapping Elena in the library. Stefan is called to rescue Elena, and he calls Caroline for backup. Both are tricked and locked into the library with Elena, although Rebekah allows April to leave. Meanwhile Damon and Matt continue training Jeremy to expand the hunter's mark. Klaus gets impatient and Damon shoots him several times for killing Carol. Regardless, Klaus offers to provide vampires for Jeremy to kill starting with a pizza delivery woman; she attacks them, forcing Jeremy to kill her. Bonnie talks to Shane, who gives her an amulet made from human bone. Kol soon shows up and abducts Shane, taking him to the school's library. Rebekah talks to them about the cure and more personally, to Elena about her break up with Stefan and her feelings for Damon, in an effort to torment Stefan. Tyler gets a call from Rebekah to rescue his friends. Kol brings in Shane and tortures him for the location of the cure. Shane tells Kol and Rebekah about Silas, and how he intends to release him and how Silas will resurrect those who died on his behalf.
Rebekah refuses to listen and Kol attempts to drown Shane and impales him, but Bonnie manage to put a protection spell on Shane; but April suffers from the spell due to a link between her and Shane. Tyler arrives and Rebekah compels him to turn. As Tyler begins to transform, he tells his friends to run for it. As they do, Stefan finds an unconscious April with Bonnie and manages to revive her, telling Bonnie to get her out. When Tyler turns back to his human form, Caroline finds him and he reveals that he blames himself for everything. Rebekah walks up to Elena and Stefan and offers to erase Stefan's memories of Elena, but when he accepts, Rebekah goes back on her word; saying that Stefan's pain is her own revenge.
At the end of the episode, April talks to the sheriff and the mayor, revealing that she knows about the supernatural and everyone's lies. Damon and Elena talk on the phone and Elena says that sire bond or not, she loves him. Damon tells her to meet him at the cabin. Rebekah comes to Stefan saying that she still wants the cure so she can use it on Klaus, and Stefan agrees to help her. Klaus calls Jeremy, Matt and Damon to a bar, full of people transforming into vampires.
- Antagonists: Rebekah Mikaelson, April Young, Atticus Shane and Kol Mikaelson.
- This is the only episode to feature April as an antagonist.
- This is the first episode of the third chapter of Season Four, The Silas Chapter.
- The memorial for Carol Lockwood is held by Sheriff Forbes.
- Elena declares her love to Damon for the first time in this episode.
- It is revealed that Kol and his siblings know about Silas, though only Kol believes that he is actually real, while the other believe he is nothing but a fairy tale.
- We were reminded of an old "rule" - although Matt invited the Pizza Girl in, she could not come through the threshold until Jeremy invited her in. Only one of the owners or residents can invite vampires in.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Rudy Hopkins, Bonnie's father.
- Michael Trevino makes his 50th episode appearance as Tyler Lockwood in this episode. The other actors who have appeared in 50 episodes (or more) as of this point are: Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Ian Somerhalder, Candice Accola, Steven R. McQueen, Katerina Graham and Zach Roerig.
- Rebekah was last seen awake in The Five. She was neutralized by Klaus and her coffin was discovered by April in O Come, All Ye Faithful.
- Kol was last seen in Heart of Darkness. This episode being his first modern day appearance in Season Four.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Bonnie's father, Rudy Hopkins.
- As there is no democracy in Mystic Falls, Rudy Hopkins was appointed the next mayor - after six people refused the job.
- He is aware of Bonnie's gifts (as a witch).
- There is a vigil at the school's gymnasium for Carol Lockwood, who died in the previous episode, O Come, All Ye Faithful.
- This is the twenty-second episode to feature all main characters.
- This is the sixth episode in Season Four to feature all main characters.
- This is the first episode where it shows a successful hybrid in its wolf form.
- Previously, Ray Sutton was seen in wolf form, but he was an unsuccessful hybrid.
- Rebekah and Stefan make a secret alliance.
- Elena declares her love to Damon.
- It is finally revealed that Atticus Shane is responsible for the explosion at the Young Farm.
- This episode marks the first time that Klaus turns a human into a vampire since breaking the Hybrid Curse.
- This episode marks the first time Kol and Bonnie have a scene together, though she saw him off-screen in All My Children.
- Rebekah was last seen on-screen with her brother Kol in All My Children.
- This is the third appearance of the white oak stake this season. Stefan stopped Elena from killing Rebekah in The Rager. It was first seen in Growing Pains.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Gilbert Family Lake House
- McKinley, Virginia
- Zanadew Bar
- The term "after school special" refers to a genre of American television programs that were meant to be viewed by students after they arrived home from school. The term was coined and is closely associated with the ABC Afterschool Special series (1972–1997.)
- After School Special is the same name of a Supernatural episode that Candice Accola guest starred in as Amanda Heckerling. It was the thirteenth episode of Season 4.
- Stefan is going on a Bender - a drinking spree. At least he did not go on a "Ripper Bender" as Caroline fears, or there would be more corpses to deal with.
- Wingman - Originally a pilot who flies by the wing of the lead pilot in a formation. Nowadays used socially to mean a person giving support to another, who is trying to approach potential partners.
- The Karate Kid - 1984 romance drama with Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita. An underdog story of a misplaced kid that gets trained into Karate by the caretaker from the building he lives. Great commercial success, was remade recently with Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith.
- Wants a shot at this title - wants a fight, a rumble. Apparently this phrase is a quote from Lethal Weapon Quotes (1987).
- Facebook - Damon says he updated the status of his relationship with Jeremy to "It's complicated" - that's one of the funny and popular relationship statuses of the social network.
- Damon says Jeremy is "chum" - "to chum the waters" is the practice of attracting fish, specially shark, by throwing "chum" - mostly fish offal - into the water. The practice is illegal in several parts of the world. In some contexts it's used as synonym for "Fish Bait".
- "The little hunter that would" - is a play on words referring to The Little Engine That Could - a children's book published in the United States in 1930.
- Darwinism - the broad concept of origin of species as published by Charles Darwin. Generally abbreviated as "Survival of the fittest", although this not really how natural selection works.
- The scene where Jeremy, Matt and Damon enter the bar with all the vampires in transition could be a homage to Near Dark, cult vampire movie from 1984, where a newbie vampire is taken to a bar to feed, and massacre ensues. Or maybe to Quentin Tarantino's From Dusk till Dawn, where some runaways stumble upon a bar where everybody turns into vampires after dark.
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 2.95 million viewers in the USA, which was 0.14 million more than the previous episode.
- Hashtag during the airing is #TheBexfastClub