|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 1, Episode 15|
|Air date||March 25, 2010|
|Written by||Brian Young|
|Directed by||Joshua Butler|
|Episode Guide Transcript|
Fool Me Once
There Goes the Neighborhood
SummaryMOTHERS, BACHELORS AND BLOOD — Matt and Caroline are surprised by the sudden reappearance of Matt’s mother Kelly. Stefan and Elena are worried about Damon’s new attitude. Damon is asked by Sheriff Forbes to take part in a fund-raising bachelor auction. Alaric discovers shocking secrets from his own past. With help from Jenna and Stefan, Elena is determined to find out everything she can about her birth mother, but the truth may be more than she can handle.
|Harper, the vampire who escaped from the tomb, kills a man in the woods and steals his clothes so he can blend in with everyone else.
Matt and Caroline are surprised by the sudden appearance of Matt's drifter mother Kelly Donavon, who had received word of Vicki's disappearance. Matt is uneasy with his mother as she is incredibly immature and carefree.
Meanwhile, Elena and Stefan are worried about Damon's new attitude. He is asked by Sheriff Forbes to take part in a fund-raising bachelor auction, while he asks for information on Alaric. At the same time, Alaric discovers that his wife Isobel was Elena's biological mother, and she was turned into a vampire by Damon. He confronts him, which only ends with Alaric being stabbed to death with a stake. Stefan arrives and Damon leaves him to take care of the body, only for Alaric to suddenly come back to life. He realizes the ring Isobel had given him is magical, bringing a person back to life if they are killed by a supernatural being. Through all of this, Elena is determined to discover who her birth mother is, but receives warnings—possibly from Isobel herself—to stop her search. When Elena gets Isobel's phone number, she calls her, but Isobel quickly hangs up when she realizes who is calling her. At the end of the episode, it is shown that Harper is staying with Anna and Pearl and a few other vampires.
- Antagonist: Isobel Flemming.
- Isobel's cellphone number is shown: 919-399-2507.
- Alaric learns from Jenna that Elena is his wife Isobel's daughter, thus Elena is his step-daughter.
- Elena learns that Damon killed her birth mother Isobel and turned her into a vampire.
- Elena hears her birth mother Isobel's voice for the first time over the phone.
- The Gilbert Ring's abilities are first seen as Alaric was resurrected by the ring after Damon kills him.
- This is the first episode of the third chapter of Season One, The Lineage Chapter. (A Few Good Men to Founder's Day.)
- Hiker - drained of blood, killed by Harper.
- Trudie Peterson - thrown downstairs, killed by unknown man.
- Unknown man - killed by truck driver after stepping in front of it. (compelled to kill himself by Isobel).
- Alaric Saltzman - staked, killed by Damon Salvatore, but resurrected by his ring.
- Jeremy does not appear in this episode.
- This is the first episode of the series to not feature Jeremy. It is the only episode of the first season without him, thus, after the main three, his character appeared in the most episodes during a single season.
- It is also the only episode which Anna appears in but Jeremy does not.
- Tyler and Bonnie do not appear in this episode either.
- This episode features the most mothers of the main characters: Elena, Caroline, Tyler and Matt's moms are all featured.
- This is the first appearance of Alaric Saltzman as a series regular.
- Kayla Ewell makes a cameo in this episode as Vicki. A photo of her, Zach Roerig and Melinda Clarke, which was most likely taken just for this episode, can be seen on the fridge when Matt gets ice for Kelly.
- A Few Good Men, a play by Aaron Sorkin, was first produced on Broadway by David Brown in 1989. Sorkin adapted his work into a screenplay for a 1992 film directed by Rob Reiner, produced by Brown and starring Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson and Demi Moore.
- Duke University, a Private university located in Durham, North Carolina.
- Fox Mulder, a protagonist from The X-Files (a paranormal TV show that aired from 1993–2002) who believed in extraterrestrial life.
- The Real Housewives of...
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 3.33 million viewers in USA.
- Harper: "Do you know what day it is?"
- Hiker: "It's Saturday."
- Harper: "And what year?"
- Hiker: "...It's 2010."
- Jenna: "Listen, there's something else. Mr. Saltzman... Rick... His wife was from around here and her name was also Isobel."
- Elena: "Wait... "was," as in."
- Jenna: "She died."
- Damon: "No... Buzzkill Bob. Greetings."
- Stefan: "Can we talk?"
- Damon: "Yeah."
- Stefan: "Without the TriDelts?"
- Elena: "When was the last time you saw her?"
- Trudie Peterson: "About 17 years ago, when she left to go have you. We kept in touch for a while, but you know people drift apart."
- Matt: "So, where have you been?"
- Kelly Donovan: "Here and there, never one place too long—you know Pete."
- Matt: "No actually, I don't because you've never brought him around."
- Stefan: "I asked Damon without saying too much. He doesn't remember."
- Alaric: "Ask him again."
- Stefan: "Damon is not stable right now."
- Alaric: "You know he murdered my wife, or at the very least made a meal out of her. When has he been stable?"
- Sheriff Forbes: "Oh, come on help me out. Carol Lockwood won't let me live it down if I come empty-handed."
- Damon: "You know—a room full of women clamoring to win a date with me? Sounds tasty."
- Elena: "Hes fine."
- Stefan: "He's Damon."
- Elena: "Maybe this heartache will be good for him, it will remind him that he has one, even if it doesn't beat."
- Carol Lockwood: "Do you have any hobbies? Do you like to travel?"
- Damon: "Oh yeah. L.A., New York—a couple of years ago I was in North Carolina, near the Duke campus actually. I think—I think Alaric went to school there, didn't you Rick? Yeah, except I know your wife did. I had a drink with her once. She was—she was a great girl. Did I ever tell you that? Cause she was—delicious. Mmm, mmm, mmm."
- Damon: "This is a shame. We're kindred spirits bitten by the women we love. Unrequited love sucks. Sounds like I got a lung, which means I get to sit here and watch you die."